Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Mariah Promotes "M" on LA's KIIS F

LISTEN HERE + DOWNLOAD

TRANSCRIPT:

Ryan Seacrest: We need some MC this morning... Mariah Carey!
Mariah Carey: Hey!
RS: Oh, there it is! There is that voice!
MC: Hi darling, how are you?
RS: It's as if you're inside the handset, it's so smooth.
MC: You are out of control, how are you this morning?
RS: I'm okay now, four o'clock I was angry but now, 9:35, I'm buzzing with happiness.
MC: You were angry because you had to wake up at four or because...?
RS: Yep.
MC: You know what? I'm with you.
RS: I mean, not angry, that's not correct, it's just one of those things - as the day goes on, I get more and more of that happy feeling. I think you and I live.. we're on opposite schedules completely.
MC: We are and yet they're actually almost the same because I do like not usually go to sleep before four.
RS: What's with you music people? I mean all of the best and biggest names, you guys shine in the middle of the night.
MC: [laughs] That's what it is, stars shine at night! No, I don't know. I have no idea what is the creativity thing for me, it's been like - my whole life, I've always been, you know, writing and whatever and so as a kid I just would be up late, just writing poems or lyrics or whatever and I just stayed [...] it's a great thing that I'm very thankful for, you know, the ability to write songs, but like being a nocturnal person is a little bit annoying.
RS: You know, Mariah Carey - all of this this morning, as if she hasn't had enough success in everything that she's done, [...] and before we talk about how people can see you tonight, I'm wondering, when you look at young artists, some of the new artists, you've done as good as anybody in music can do. You're in a completely different league because of what you've been able to accomplish. What do you think when you look at some of these younger female stars?
MC: I don't know... I mean like, some people you might think they're young but they're probably older, they just started later. Don't forget I was in high school working on my first demo! And so I think I have a different perspective. Honestly, when I look at like certain people that did start really young, I kinda feel like I can relate maybe a little bit to what they're going through because it's a tough business. I don't know, I think everybody has their own journey that they have to go through and sometimes it's a great moment and everything is amazing and sometimes it's not, and that's just the way it is in life. So I think like with other artists who are just starting out and they've been doing this for you know, however long, it's all about you and whatever you're going through, like this new kind of different phase in my life which is really exciting, having the new fragrance, you know. This is like my first kind of, you know, non-musical entrée into the world of...
RS: It's your first liquidventure.
MC: Yes it is! [laughs]
RS: I would like for you to use that pitch. "This is my first liquidventure".
MC: Can I take... I mean, do I credit you for it?
RS: No, I don't need credit. You conquered everything else, let's go liquid.
MC: Let's go liquid! Liquid is hot, liquid hot magma [Austin Powers quote]. Well, I got that from Mike Myers, I can't...
RS: You did come up with "M by Mariah Carey". That is your brand, M!
MC: I know, that is the height of creativity, but actually what it was, was that we were more focused on the actual fragrance and didn't even, I mean I was thinking about names all along, I was thinking it would probably be like one of the names from one of the songs off the new record that I'm working on right now, but actually it didn't end up that way, believe it or not - so many people just trademark all these names, 'cause if it's a good name, likelihood is that it's taken already.
RS: That's true I guess, but no one took the consonant M, so that's all yours, you can have that.
MC: That's all mine, and funny thing is everybody calls me 'M', like you know, my friends call me M or MC or whatever, so there you go.
RS: Mariah's gonna be at M-Macy's at the Glendale Galleria, tonight at 7 o'clock. The first 200 people that purchase a special fragrance package get to actually meet and receive an autograph from Mariah Carey, so there will be a lot of people out there tonight, that's the Glendale Galleria, I'm gonna put the information at KIISFM.com. Why do a fragrance?
MC: I loved this process. Making this fragrance has been something that's been so cool and different for me because like O.K., they actually equate the ingredients, the same terminology we use like 'I'm gonna go in the studio, I'm gonna work on something, I'm gonna change this note, and that note, whatever' 'cause we wanted to feel, let's say the outro of one of my famous songs... I don't know, "We Belong Together" - at the end, I go up to the higher note, and literally that's the same thing with the fragrance. It's like, we want the top note to stand out more, you know in certain parts, like the floral note would be more dominant. And also, the low sensual Moroccan incense - that's the bottom note, and I learned about all this and I really really worked on the fragrance with the people at Elizabeth Arden, so it's been a cool learning experience for me too. Like I would definitely recommend it to anybody out there who doesn't know what they want to do with their life or with their career necessarily, it's a pretty cool job to have. Can you believe that there are actually people who - all they do is, you spray perfume on them and smell it on their skin?
RS: That's... your payroll. You've got people around you doing that all the time.
MC: Not my payroll, but that is an actual job, can you believe that?
RS: I can. I was just thinking though Mariah, as I listen to the way you describe the fragrance, music, and the comparison you made, music is audio-chemistry then, isn't it?
MC: It really is, and it's pretty cool because honestly, I was not good at Chemistry or anything science - I would hate it or anything like mathematics, so now I feel like "ha-ha", you know? I learned something guys! No, I really do feel like this was and is a great learning experience for me and every day I learn a little bit more about the process and what goes into it and I have so much respect for the people that actually go out and you know, they'll find, you know, I wanted this specific flower, this Tahitian flower, I didn't know the name of it, and I just kinda described it and the folks from Arden went out and literally got the extract of this flower called the Tiare Flower, and it's found, it's a Tahitian flower, it's beautiful.
RS: It's from a Tiare Tequila plant.
MC: [laughs] Probably, in something... let's say it's an intoxicating moment, but it doesn't smell like tequila.
RS: Mariah Carey is with us, 9:42 on Wednesday-- Tuesday, it's one big 24 hours.
MC: Of course it is.
RS: What about new music? I know it was scheduled to come out either, well, today, wasn't it?
MC: Today? I don't know... scheduled for today? They're gonna have to come grab my iPod 'cause...
RS: When will we have the new Mariah Carey?
MC: We will have my new work... [Speaks to someone else:] we're not talking about that darling, we're talking about music now! People come in and point at things going "tonight only I'll be at Macy's Glendale..." Actually, I'm gonna be putting out the record at the top of the year. I'm really really excited about it, I don't even wanna go on a tangent because I won't stop. [laughs] No, it's like, I'm so excited about this music, and the interesting thing is like you said, the notes like with the perfume and the fragrance and the creation of that is like, something that's different for me creatively, it took me to a new place just in terms of my music, in terms of where I was going and you know - what you're doing while you're writing and recording, it's really important you know.
RS: When I listen to Mariah Carey, I always feel like as she speaks with this chaos and the soft voice, that there are people fanning, there's mani-padi, all happening at the same time.
MC: What do you think is going on? Fanning?
RS: Fanning and grape-feeding... [Studio girl: he thinks you're being pampered as you speak]
MC: I think you would hear me eating grapes.
RS: Well you have that... you do, your voice...!
MC: I sound like I'm eating grapes?
RS: No, no... the picture in my head, in my mind, is that, you're constantly, you're so relaxed that I wish I could be as pampered as you.
MC: I actually am having my nails done as we speak.
RS: See?
MC: Ryan, either you have that special camera set up that we discussed.
RS: It was for the late nights. I have this certain unbelievable way of recognizing vanity.
MC: Oh my goodness, it's not vanity, it's just part of the job and you know it.
RS: I call it maintenance. It's maintenance. Alright, so your fragrance is "M by Mariah Carey".
MC: "M by Mariah Carey", it's a beautiful, like purple, deep-purple bottle with surprisingly a butterfly on top, but I do love it.
RS: Shocking! Tonight at the Glendale Galleria, you can meet her. We were talking about this yesterday, if I had a fragrance, it would be called "insecurity".
MC: What?
RS: "Insecurity. RS."
MC: Listen, it should be called "Fabulousness" and you should put it out next year.
RS: That would help with the gay rumors. Mariah, we love you, thanks for calling!
MC: I love you too darling, talk to you Ryan! Okay, 7:00pm Macy's Bye!
RS: MC, KIIS FM. [Plays "We Belong Together"]
Source: Transcript: MariahDailyJournal

No comments: